Most of what
I know about child/ adolescent development is based primarily on what I have seen, more than on what I have learned or read. Infants to around age 2 are so
receptive to the stimuli around them. Touching and grabbing for any and
everything within their reach. Most parents spend their time saying “Don’t put
that in your mouth”, but that is their way of figuring out what it is. Little
ones also start out with no ability to support one’s self and eventually
sit-up, scoot, crawl, stand, walk and run. As time goes on kids become more
independent feeding themselves, potty training and saying “NO!” That need to
say no, is some little one’s way of testing boundaries, as well as finding
their voice within the home. As the body and mind grow in age, various hormonal
changes happen. I think the largest new spike happens sooner for girls then boys, but
around 5th or 6th grade. Kids really start thinking about
how they look and what others think of them. Confidence and self-esteem is at a
shaky point within this window and even on in to the high school level.
When working
with my younger students I am constantly reminded that the window of attention
is small. My lesson plans are structured in a way that keeps things specific,
quick and engaging. Also having a consistent structure to class, allows me to
build my young learners stamina for learning. Interestingly, I use a similar
patterning for most my age groups. At this point students have been trained on
what school is like, but all kiddo’s are different. Consistent structure, clear and quick delivery
of information and a chances to work with peers, works well a majority of the
time. For all of my students, giving them a sense of success matters at any age
level.
No comments:
Post a Comment